This
is something I wrote when I redefined what black means to me. This was inspired
by a society that still hesitates to say “the black girl” because they’re not
sure how it will make “the black” feel. I needed people to understand that
referring to me as Black doesn’t give them power anymore because I’m proud of
Black. I’m proud to be black because the same black that they made us believe
is evil, dirty and humane is the same black that I now stand up for a boast
about because it now knows it’s worth, it’s determined of its future and its influence in
the world. I’m that black.
When I was black?
When
I was black?
Why when I was black, when I’m still black?
I’m still black I’m just not your black.
See
I’m still black I’m just not your black because your black put me down,
Enslaved
me, oppressed me and brought me down.
Your
black would shoot me down with live ammunition just because I was black;
Your
black put blame on pigmentation and caused me starvation.
It
practiced hate and called it segregation.
Your
definition of black was dirty, filthy, inhumane and unworthy.
Your
black had a price.
Your
black put a price on life.
Your
black was tradable.
You
treated your black as if it were like animal skin that could be peeled off and
hung to dry so it could be sold. That’s what you did to your black; you hung it
and sold it.
You
sold it.
Left
it exposed with no shelter and no dignity and claimed to own it.
Your
black had no soul.
Your
black had no eyes, your black had no voice, your black had no chose, it had no name,
no identity no sense of life or originality.
Your
black had no life.
That
was your black.
Fuck
it!
I ain’t that black, I ain’t that black!
I’m the new black.
When
I was black?
Why
when I was black, when I’m still black? I’m still black I’m just not your
black!
I want nothing to do with your black. That’s
why I made it my black.
Now
I own that black; it’s mine.
See
my black is like the night, it lets the stars shine at night.
Think
of as light. My black wears a smile on its face; its beauty is like the sunrise
on an August day.
Every
inch of my skin is adored as though it’s covering are those of a black pearl.
Think
of my black as the black pearl, filled with value, admirable; beautiful and
everlasting.
My
black symbolizes prosperity. My black is prosperous, my black is prosperous!
See
my black covers me, you can never tell where it ends, neither can you tell
where it begins because my black has endless possibilities.
My
black has a future, it is the future!
My
black has seen the mind of a dreamer, an achiever and a believer and that’s why
it perseveres.
My
black is rooted in pain but continues to grow in victory.
See
My Black is STRONG; it views history in the rearview mirror while driving
towards hope.
My
black has risen from the dust and like evaporated air will condescend to fill
the clouds, only to shit all of its thoughts onto the rest of the world because
my black has a voice now.
My
black not only speaks it sings. You should hear it sing, hear the braveness
behind the notes it belts out.
My
black is a work of art; it dances and acts, and reads and writes.
My
black has stories and poems to recite. It’s heard the echoes of the sounds that
our ancestors long created from the cracks of their dancing feet. It has a new
history to write.
Imagine
if the slave gave up?
Cling
on to that thought like it’s your last breathe and hold up, your head, hold it
up. And own it! Own that black it’s yours. Make it proud and let it know that
you know it’s beautiful.
Every
black is beautiful, every blue sky too, we all get green with envy; you bruise
and see purple too. Some even say a heart is white but has turned red from all
the hurt it’s been through. That would mean we were all once white, it would
mean we are all red too.
Colour
is a perception not a definition. Stop classifying me by the colour of my
pigmentation and thinking that hurts me. What hurt's is you thinking I’m less
because of it. I’m proud that I’m black and there’s no ways you can take that
pride away from me. I know the truth; I know what’s real because I’m
consciously black.
I’m
not your black.
I’m
the new black.
No comments:
Post a Comment