Entering
the community of Mariannridge, one of the preconceived ideas that I had about
the people there was that most of them think in colour and that they make it
verbally known when talking, like it’s the norm to refer to a person of darker
skin tone as the “other” /”outsider” or “them” and this would be referring to a
“black person”. When referring to a person of lighter skin as they would call
them a “whito” or mlungu. They would also refer to the lighter skinned coloured
people as the whito’s.
When
I first entered the community, my initial impression was that I actually find
myself familiar to the surroundings of this community because there were so
many similarities between Mariannridge and my township (Lamontville). Even when walking around the community, you
see as many black people as much as you see coloured people, at times you ask
yourself if the person is coloured or black. But that’s beside the point, what
I have found to be of total interest was how well Mariannridge coloured people
can speak IsiZulu, it’s amazing! You’d be speaking to one of the community
members and they’d respond in a very thick coloured accent, then all of a
sudden change to hardcore proper isiZulu like its nothing. And I’d be standing
there amazed, that’s because I’ve been around a coloured group of people before
and I have coloured friends, and they all as bad in isiZulu as you would
expect. Learning isiZulu is the last thing coloured people ever want to do
because that would mean they are more black then white (If you know what I
mean).
As
part of academic requirement and part of integrating ourselves in the
community, we have been asked to take part in an occupation that happens in the
community. One of the colleagues had the idea of chilling with the boys that
take drugs in the community; because I was also interested in this occupation,
I decided to join her on one of the days. Whilst chilling with them they ask us
if we’ve ever tried smoking or if we’d like to try. ( was an expected
question). I politely rejected to try the joint but in my attempts to try and fit
in the crew, I start telling them about how I once had “Space muffins” but
didn’t know I was having them. The story
is that I have a big brother that bakes and he bakes for the family all the
time. But on that day he had backed space muffins for himself and his friends.
There I was me coming back from school STARVING: so I grab a muffin, while
making juice. I grab another 1. Once my juice was made I sat down and had two
more (that means I had 4 space muffins). As you would expect, an hour later I
was on cloud nine, but obviously I felt like I was dying, crazy even because I
didn’t understand what was happening to me. I was rushed to hospital but the
Dr. couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me. The next day my brother privately confesses what
had happened to me. I was fine with it, actually relieved that he told me what
happened because I was worried about not knowing why I reacted like that.. And
plus I like telling this story because I can’t really blame myself for having
tried weed because it wasn’t my fault haha. Any ways, during my story telling,
the guys had been hysterically laughing, then the one I had identified as the ring
leader says “I can’t believe they took you to hospital for being greened” …..aaaah
but I guess I could coz you’re a lani. I can tell that you’re larni even your
English is” I’m like what do you mean? And giggle, but he doesn’t answer so I brush
it off. But it gets me thinking when someone else from the community says it to
me again. In saying it; he insinuates that I’ve studying at the university so I’m
educated and that’s why my English is
”larni”; he also joke-fully goes on to say that they’ve never even heard me speak
isiZulu. I tell him nonsense and then attempt to defend myself by speaking
isiZulu and we laugh it off. But later on, it got me wondering about what the
community members think of me. However ever it was I hoped I wasn’t perceived
as the black girl that thinks she’s better than us becuase I don’t want to be
known as the “black girl” that can’t even speak isiZulu properly.
One
other interesting “colour” incident was when one of the girls I was having a
conversation with asked to see a picture of my boyfriend. I’m like sure: I take
out my phone, scroll to find our coolest picture and show her. She has a look,
says we look cute together then hands the phone back to me., she then says (Not
in these exact words) : you know, it’s unusual for a dark girl to date a dark
guy, coz I like dark guys, but for me it’s understandable because I’m light” .
I don’t get what she means so I ask her, what do you mean? She says “you are
dark skinned and your boyfriend is dark skinned, like dark chocolate. Don’t
worry my fiancĂ©’ is also dark, very dark. Like you”. Dumbstruck, I think to
myself. My skin tone is not even close to looking like dark chocolate. But who cares anyway, I love being Black!
No comments:
Post a Comment