Wednesday, 9 October 2013

MY lesson on groups,

SING DON’T READ…So wake me up when it’s all over, when I’m wiser and I’m older. All this I was finding myself and I didn’t know I was lost. So wake me up when it’s all over, when I’m wiser and I’m older. All this I was finding myself and I didn’t know I was lost.
Now you can read ;)
These are the chorus lyrics from a song by Avicii ft Aloe Blacc- Wake Me Up, one of my favorite tracks right, now you should check it out. It’s the same track I was rocking out too last Friday night at our OT annual ball. Like the 2013 class of OT4’s would put it. It was AMAZEBALLS!!!!  I’m so glad I went to the ball because if I hadn’t; I would have missed out on a great night filled with lots of love, support and great spirits
I remember having to grasp the idea that at the beginning of 2013; I would be joining a new class and would have to leave the friends I had made from my previous class. The idea of having to leave my friends was more whack than me having to repeat the modules that I had failed. It was the whole thought of having to transition from fitting in or standing out again. Because whether we accept it or not, every individual that steps into a new territory has the innate feelings of wanting to belong and be accepted. And I knew I’d have to go through the same thing with my new class. It was such a huge change for me because the characters from my previous class and my new class were so different. And I thought to myself, what have I done?  How could I have let them get away haha…it was a true realization that I actually hadn’t known what a cool ass class I had belonged to till I had been taken out of it. Well I knew my previous class was cool, but compared to this new class right here; they were off the chains cool, lol. I missed my friends, I missed the laughs, I missed the honesty and sincerity and the characters from that class; all in all I just missed being with them.
8 months down the lineJ, I have a different opinion ofcos; I’m actually really pleased that I only get to share my feelings about this now because now I can safely say I’ve had an experienced of both worlds and what I have to share now is a true reflection of how I really feel.; Whereas at the beginning of the year I probably would have expressed all negatives. My opinion about my previous class hasn’t changed ofcos; they still are a cool ass bunch. But now I’ve got a chance to learn about my new OT crew (and who they are as a group and as individuals) I’ve now gained respect for them;  have stopped comparing them and have found my space. I think they are a dynamic group filled with great minds, and I’ve got love for them tooJ.
I just remembered something that was said by the guest speaker at this year’s research day. She said most professors don’t have social skills because they don’t necessarily care about one individual but they have a set mind of influencing more than one person and so would rather change the whole of humanity. So it’s not necessarily the fact that they don’t care about people and socializing and interacting, it because they care enough that they would rather use the time spent on socializing on changing the world. Now I know most of the time lecturers think that the peeps from my class just care about their marks, TRUE. In the beginning I also got that idea from them because well, it’s all they ever obsessed about, marks! Who did well in this? Who got what for that? Blah blah. Which is a good thing, it’s a good thing because it challenges them and it challenges everyone else to step up their game. But I don’t think that’s who they are, they not a group of individuals studying OT just to get great grades. They just individuals trying to be the best they can possibly be; and the only way they knew how was to do it and to do it alone. By alone I mean that you don’t let anyone know that you’re not coping, don’t ask for help, don’t give help; just mind your own business and get on with it. When I first got to know them, it was like they didn’t know each other, they just kept to themselves and nobody really cared about anyone else really. But I’m glad that has since changed over the months.
And like the guest speaker had said, individual vs. humanity. Maybe this was the biggest difference between the two groups that I’ve come to know and understand. Maybe the only difference is how they each plan to change the world.
The first group of friends that I know just understood the fundamental concept of knowing how to change the whole of humanity by changing the inner circle first, consciously or subconsciously they understood that by helping each other as a group they can qualify to help others out there in the world.  The first group’s strategy is changing the individual who will one day change the world. And the first group just has better social skills; that’s all! Hahahahaha. While the second group just knew to change the world alone, so they forgot the individual person and focused on humanity (perhaps like the professor). That’s what I think. And who’s to tell who will make a better OT one day Huh? I don’t know. But what I do know is; each group could learn a lot from each other

No comments:

Post a Comment