 |
CASUAL DAY MADNESS
|
Friday the 6th of September was Casual day, a day specially put on the calendar to raise awareness for people with disabilities. The “projects aim to empower communities everywhere. Casual Day seeks to be instrumental in seeing persons with disabilities being included fully in society as interdependent contributors to a better society,” says Casual Day project leader Celeste Vinassa.
Casual day has everything to do with me, it’s just sad that I don’t ever remember being involved in it, but to make up for that I decided to go “hard” on this one. So I bought my casual day sticker and put on my BIG CLOWN look, and off into the world I went. The theme for casual day this year was GO BIG!!! And to that I add OR GO HOME. So my theme was GO BIG OR GO HOME. After prac I had to decide if I wanted to change into normal clothes so I can go attend my afternoon lecture. But I thought why should I? If so then I’d rather just stay in my room, because what would be the point if I only dressed up for prac and not for everyone else on campus to see me. So a buddy and I decided to be dressed in our casual day outfits the whole day. We not only went to prac looking that way, we even went to campus to go attend a lecture looking like that. What I liked was that by deciding to do that it actually did raise awareness, people on campus were looking at us and thought of us crazy. Our response to that was, “Its Casual Day!” And I was glad I got the chance to explain what it’s all about to a few guys we happened to bump into on campus.
![]()
 |
ZEE AND I EXPLAINING CASUAL DAY TO BUDDIES ON CAMPUS ;)
But just before we got to the chance to raise awareness on campus, we had crazy fun at the Lodge. My team and I had a spring day/GO BIG theme for the day. We had set up the pool area with beautiful big flowers and balloons, had a big sign reading casual day and had made and bought crops for the residents at the lodge to wear on the day, to set the mood we music playing on the background. We started off the day with a warm up session of a chocolate game. In this game each resident had the chance to roll the dice, if they lucky to hit a 6, they had the chance to eat some chocolate. A twist to this game though was that they had to wear gloves, a hat and try to eat the chocolate using a fork. They had the chance to eat the chocolate until someone else it a 6.And if no1 did, then they could carry on eating the chocolate until someone did. They enjoyed this game so much, each person was eager to try hitting a 6 on the dice just to the get the chance to eat some chocolate.
The rest of the day we had them play an obstacle course which including an egg and spoon race, score in the hoola, 3 legged race and cross-word puzzle with words which were part of the theme for the day, e.g.; casual day, fun, friends, etc. After the residents had their lunch, our supervisor suggested we set up a photo booth so that we capture memories of the day. We took so many pictures we almost got carried away. Oh before I forgetJ, we also had a branchless BIG tree printed out for them and each resident had to dip their finger on paint and create branches on the tree using their finger tips. We’ll have that organized to be put in a frame and placed on a vacant space on the wall of the lodge so that the residents have the picture as a reminder for the 2013 casual day, I liked that idea, and I thought the idea was a special thoughtJ.
I enjoyed my casual day, and I enjoyed helping put on a big smile on the people we were raising awareness towards. It was a special day for me. And I will be participating in casual day a whole lot more than I’m use to doing, even if it will be a simple tweet on my twitter handle, a change of status on my bbm or facebook or a purchase of a sticker. I will rest knowing that even though my actions may be small, I know they came from a bigger thought and a heart and one day will be proven in bigger actions.
|
![]()
![]()


![]()
up (center): Jadie and I rocking out at the photo booth. Up (right) :Jadie and I making big glasses for the residents at the lodge. bottom: picture of us and the residents at the lodge :)
No comments:
Post a Comment